Common and European Squid

TimOH
Species Hunt Master

Common and European Squid

Post by TimOH »

Information on the status, distribution, rigs and techniques.
Common Squid http://britishseafishing.co.uk/common-squid/
European Squid http://britishseafishing.co.uk/european-squid/
The scientific bit from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid
Common or European?
Common or European?
Ian Kerry Squid.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 19045 times
Graham Smith
IKAs #1 Butterfish, Chub, 3 and 15 Spined Stickleback Angler. Sure anyone can catch a ferox trout.
chiefbrody

Re: Common and European Squid

Post by chiefbrody »

Hi ,
Any tips on catching squid? I have a few squid lures in my tackle box was thinking of trying them out as I've read they can be caught in the Autumn. Are better results obtained at dusk or after ? What depth water do they prefer? If I suspend a good light source over the side will it attract them in any numbers?
TimOH
Species Hunt Master

Post by TimOH »

chiefbrody wrote:Hi ,
Any tips on catching squid? I have a few squid lures in my tackle box was thinking of trying them out as I've read they can be caught in the Autumn. Are better results obtained at dusk or after ? What depth water do they prefer? If I suspend a good light source over the side will it attract them in any numbers?
Graham Smith is man for that question.
IKAs #1 Butterfish, Chub, 3 and 15 Spined Stickleback Angler. Sure anyone can catch a ferox trout.
Graham Smith
Vice President

Post by Graham Smith »

Hi there.
Sorry I have been tied up of late.
Squid are generally very easy to catch.
The main thing you need gear wise is obviously a squid jig. Cheap ones catch just as well as dear ones.
They appear from late june and hang around up north until late january. Small squid jigs at the start as they will be quiet small then. a jig about 2" is ideal going up to 3.5" by mid august as they grow at an enormous rate.
You also need a soft rod. If your rod is to heavy it will rip the squid off the jig.
They can grow from less than 1/2lb to 2lb by september.
Squid generally pass by in a shoal and you can catch a good few in a short time.
Squid are serious predators and rob mackerel baits from your hooks. With that in mind I normally have a squi jig on the top of my normal baited rig from july to christmas.
I find the best place for them is along tide lines from 70ft to 100ft of water. But at night they will come right into 1ft of water in the right area.
jurgenhofman

Post by jurgenhofman »

Does anyone ever go squid fishing off Cork?
we used to do night winter fishing with lights to get them, not sure if this can be done in Cork.

cheers!
STREAKED GURNARD SUPREME ANGLER, EVEN MORE RARE THAN DAVE’S RED BANDFISH!!
TimOH
Species Hunt Master

Post by TimOH »

There were squid eggs on crab pots in the Harbour last month, I only found out as I was ready to head to shore.
jurgenhofman

Post by jurgenhofman »

TimOH wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am There were squid eggs on crab pots in the Harbour last month.
That's good news!
STREAKED GURNARD SUPREME ANGLER, EVEN MORE RARE THAN DAVE’S RED BANDFISH!!
Fishing with Romanas

Post by Fishing with Romanas »

Any good places around west coast? Got a few jigs and would like to catch some squid from pier or rocks over xmas holidays.

Return to “Squid”