Coalfish aka Saithe aka Black Pollock

TimOH
Species Hunt Master

Coalfish aka Saithe aka Black Pollock

Post by TimOH »

So, what is the Coalfish? Well, many people mistake them for a Pollock as they can grow to similar size so rather than copy information from elsewhere I'll link it below.

Sea Angling Ireland - Boat & Shore Tactics, Irish Record and Specimen sizes http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/fish ... alfish.htm
More information on the status, distribution, rigs and techniques. http://britishseafishing.co.uk/coalfish/
The scientific bit from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollachius_virens

So what's the difference between a Pollock and a Coalfish? Here's an easy way to tell them apart, the Coalfish has a straight lateral line while the Pollock is curved.
Coalfish v Pollock
Coalfish v Pollock
Graham.JPG
Graham.JPG (118.86 KiB) Viewed 13763 times
Now, the lateral line on the Pollock has a very pronounced curve relative to the Coalfish. The colour of the Coalfish is not consistent, depending on age and environment, so watch the lateral line.

Graham Smith
IKAs #1 Butterfish, Chub, 3 and 15 Spined Stickleback Angler. Sure anyone can catch a ferox trout.
Andrew McGarvey

Re: Coalfish aka Saithe aka Black Pollock

Post by Andrew McGarvey »

The Coalie round Ardglass tend to have a green tinge to them
20181230_112504.jpg
And no matter what I do the photo posts upside down :lol: :lol:
My safety kit- PFD, dry suit, thermal layers, VHF, GPS, phone, safety sheath knife on PFD, all round white nav light for dark evenings, visibility flag, tell the wife when and where I'm launching
TimOH
Species Hunt Master

Post by TimOH »

Andrew McGarvey wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 pm And no matter what I do the photo posts upside down :lol: :lol:
This one? :lol: I've found the smaller ones tend to be greenish or grey but sue cod can be red/orange too.
coalie.jpg
coalie.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 13268 times
IKAs #1 Butterfish, Chub, 3 and 15 Spined Stickleback Angler. Sure anyone can catch a ferox trout.
Andrew McGarvey

Post by Andrew McGarvey »

:lol: Thanks Tim
My safety kit- PFD, dry suit, thermal layers, VHF, GPS, phone, safety sheath knife on PFD, all round white nav light for dark evenings, visibility flag, tell the wife when and where I'm launching
Brian McCall
Former moderator

Post by Brian McCall »

Are you from the upside down? How's Eleven keeping
My safety- Drysuit,Pfd,underlayers,paddle leash,safety knife attached to pfd,compass, whistle,floating vhf also attached to my pfd,mobile phone in sealed bag,reflective strips on kayak,I have an app called isa safetrx,water and bar in my pfd pocket.

Return to “Coalfish”